What is Affiliate Marketing and How Do I Become an Affiliate
Affiliate Marketing is marketing a product that you don’t produce or own that you can market and make a commission on. A better word for an affiliate would be a salesman or woman. You take a product from a company that has already produced a product or sells products and you market that to your customer base. That could be through a blog which is the best in my opinion or through YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.
So, what are some things that separate a good affiliate from a great affiliate. The #1 thing that separates the good form the great is the ability to find a good niche. A niche is a product or interest that you can market to a select group of people. The best way to research a niche is to find something that interests you and then see if there is any interest from others that will allow you to monetize the interest.
There are several ways to research a niche
- Google Keyword Planner: this will allow you to search the specific keywords and see how many searches there are for that keyword per month
- KWfinder or keyword finder: I like this site because it gives you a score that will also allow you to see how hard it is to rank for that keyword.
- Ubbersuggest: this is another great site to check your keywords and longtail keywords to see how searches they see per month as well as how difficult it would be to rank for free and paid searches
- Buzzsumo: this site will show you articles and sites that rank the highest for the keywords that you are searching for
Once you have all this information you can then make an informed decision on whether you want to be an affiliate or affiliate market the product or service.
The second and very important thing you will need to become an affiliate is a way to get traffic to your offer. This is very critical and sometimes very tricky to do without losing your shirt. First time I ever paid someone to get leads for me I lost $5,000. That is terrifying right, yes, it is so do your research and do it well. Now you can get two ways with traffic. You can choose paid traffic or organic traffic. Organic is the best simply because it is free, and it is all profit in the end. Paid traffic is still good you just won’t make as much money because you must pay for the ads and that cuts into your commissions.
Here are examples of organic traffic:
- YouTube: great platform because people get to see you in a video, and this will build trust simply because they see a physical being
- Social Media: this can take time to build but once it is done you have more of a tribe of dedicated followers that just a bunch of fair-weather fans.
- Blogging: this gives you a platform to write to your customers and send them offers without hitting the 462 thousand million spam filters in the interverse
Here are examples of paid traffic:
- Google Ad words: Google is the #1 search engine ion the world, so this makes the decision to advertise with them easy
- YouTube: they are also paid advertisers second largest search engine and owned by google so the traffic on this site will be high and people will see your ads
- Bing: very large search engine owns yahoo and they also have a fanatical staff that will absolutely make sure that your ads are running correctly. (LIKE THEY WILL ACTUALLY CALL YOU)
- Social Media: people are always on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. so advertising here if done right can make you a very healthy income.
Some advice if you are going to run ads make sure to take a copywriting course of some kind. Most are very cheap, and you can find these courses on https://www.udemy.com/. I highly recommend you have at least one course before running paid ads. More advice looks at ads on YouTube, Facebook, Google, and Bing before you start running your own. Get ideas about how you would like to run your ads.
If you are going to truly be a great affiliate the third thing, I would have an e-mail autoresponder, you can see a great one below. An autoresponder will allow you to write emails to your customers and mass email them. If there is an offer that you want to send them, the autoresponder will email them all at once instead of one at a time. If you’ve tried one a time, I want to meet you because I am beyond impressed. It can also give you the ability to build workflows and analytics that can show you how your emails are performing and, how many people are looking at your offers. I email my list every day, I want them to know that I care about them and it also keeps me relevant
Lastly give the customer what they purchased and always over deliver. DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT market anything that you are not 100% confident in. This will destroy your relationship with customers and possibly your whole business. Be honest, be helpful, and be engaging. This will get you the true die-hard customers that you are looking for. If you do this, you will see your business increase day by day. It may take time be patient, I am a go getter, so I know patience is a virtue, A HUGE VIRTUE.